The SEPA Professional Development Fund Guidelines
The SEPA Professional Development Fund was set up by SEPA Council and is funded by proceeds from the Silent Auction held at conference, as well as from member and vendor donations.
Who administers the fund? A committee is appointed each year during the business meeting at the annual conference. The President-elect will chair the committee. Other members could include the Treasurer, a vendor representative, the conference host, and/or current members.
Who is eligible to apply? Applicants must be:
- Currently employed as a member of the planetarium staff, or a student/intern at an active planetarium in the SEPA region.
- A full SEPA member (not a vendor).
- Unable to attend conference without financial assistance.
What are the steps to apply?
- Complete and submit an application form to the committee chair by the listed deadline. (Electronically or by postal mail)
- Register for conference by posted deadlines.
What is award amount? Each award covers the registration fees. The SEPA Treasurer will pay this once the awardee has completed conference registration. If funds, allow, a stipend will be given for travel and/or hotel costs. Awardees are responsible for turning in receipts to the SEPA Treasurer following conference in order to receive the stipend check.
What are the obligations of award recipients? Each recipient must present a poster or paper at conference. They must submit a summary of that poster/paper to the journal editor for publication. The deadline immediately following conference is July 1st (Exception: If conference in not held in June, the deadline would be different.)
- Application Forms and Guidelines will be sent by email, dome-L, social media, etc. to all current members at least 3 months before the conference.
- Applications will be due to the committee chair 2 months before conference.
- Committee chair will email all applications to the committee members following the deadline. The committee will review and rate applicants based on need, benefit and commitment.
- Applicants will be notified of their selection at least 1 month before conference so that they can complete registration in order to receive the early rate.
- Applicants will submit paper/poster summary to the journal editor immediately after the conference.
Each award covers the amount of registration and, if funds allow, a stipend for travel and/or hotel stay. Recipient names will be sent to the conference host in order to assure that the Professional Development Committee (PDC) will cover the conference registration fee. If there is a stipend, it will be in the form of a check given to recipient at the end of the conference once receipts are given to the SEPA Treasurer.
To apply, one must be currently employed as a member of the planetarium staff, or be a student/intern at an active planetarium in the SEPA region and be a full SEPA member (not a vendor). The applicant must meet deadlines for submitting this application form and, if selected, must also meet deadlines for conference registration and paper presentations. Applicants must complete the form below and submit it electronically, or mail it to the chair of the PDC at the address below.
Award recipients must present a paper or poster at the conference. The paper, or a write-up of the poster, must be presented to the editor of the SEPA Journal (Southern Skies) Michael McConville, firstname.lastname@example.org in order for it to appear in the edition immediately following the conference. (The 2017 National Conference is in mid-October, so the submission deadline is October 1st.)
If you are unsure of your eligibility, please get in touch with the PDC Chair, James Albury, email@example.com.